This intervention is about empowering carers to make choices by providing them with independent advice and facilitating the use of personal budgets or direct payments in the best way possible to meet their individual needs. The effectiveness of this intervention hinges on carers having the information and support necessary to make their own decisions.
Related practice examples:
Depending on the needs and wishes of local carers, the methods for delivering Brokerage and Support Planning can include:
- assistance for carers to identify and assess their own support needs
- advice on what support and care options are available
- help in developing a support plan
- support for carers to access personal budgets
- support for the carer when the person who receives care is offered Direct Payments or personal budgets
- information about care agencies and other sources of support
- advice on budget management
- information about employment law and practices
- assistance with recruitment advertising, interviewing, appointing and inducting staff.
This is not a prescriptive list of the services required for each area, but the practice examples can be used to inspire ideas about creative and inventive ways to meet the outcomes of the National Carers’ Strategy
Following the links above will give you a brief outline of each project or service, as well as detailed information and advice about the practicalities of developing and running a similar service.